Sunday, August 28, 2011

Song of the Day: Nothing - The Script


I've been wanting to do this review for the best part of August, but I've never gotten to it until now. Guess what? The Script's back, folks! I've had my own personal rollercoaster with the Script (including highly praising "Breakeven" and being annoyed by "For the First Time"). Do I think that "Nothing" is the right single choice from Science & Faith for the Script? Read on to find out!



Once again, "Nothing" is a solid song coming from the Script. The story the lyrics tell is not only slightly complex (which I consider to be a good thing), but makes sense and holds a strong impact. The melody is soft and sweet, and patterns off well with the lyrics. The chorus is memorable, without becoming attached to what's left of your brain after hearing it an extended number of times. Everything about this song works well.

However, one thing about this song is bothering me: It sounds very much like "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven". As a band, the Script should be progressing into making different songs, while still using the things that made them a success (in this case, strong stories and a soothing guitar). However, that doesn't mean you should copy the formula you used in your last few pieces and past it into your new track. For this reason, I'm quite upset with this being chosen as a US single, rather than "Walk Away" or "This = Love".

Still, though, "Nothing" isn't a bad track. As far as music goes, this song works - and that's not a bad thing, right?

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment