Saturday, September 3, 2011

Song of the Day: Without You - David Guetta (Feat. Usher)


It's very odd that a person can release an album with the likes of Nicki Minaj, Usher, Jessie J and Akon featured on tracks without getting much attention - excuse me, without getting ANY attention - from the blogging community. I'm going to change that today, with my review of "Without You", on which Usher is featured. This song has surprisingly gotten picked up on radio quite quickly, and could become a quick success. Does it deserve to? Don't let what I wrote above fool you!



Many of the things in this song are right up my alley, as far as my favorite songs go. "Without You" has an anthemic background to it, and the beat is extremely strong. Usher hits every note, and the high voice manages to be very physical.

However, there's something about this track that bothers me quite a bit: It uses quite a few of the melodies (specifically the beats) found in Akon's "Angel", another track that Guetta produced. I was extremely happy when Guetta released "Titanium" as a promo for his album, as it's a completely new side of him that we've never seen. However, "Without You" sounds more like "Angel" than "Where Them Girls At" sounds like "Sexy Chick" or "Who's That Chick?".

This song would have gotten a great rating, had there been anything in it that I could identify as original. Sadly enough, that's not the case. Whenever I hear this song, I instantly compare it to something else. That rarely happens with me, and shouldn't happen, in my opinion.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment