Sunday, September 25, 2011

Song of the Day: I Like It Like That - Hot Chelle Rae (Feat. New Boyz)


It's been quite a while, but Hot Chelle Rae fans are finally getting a new song, after "Tonight Tonight" mysteriously vanishes from the Mediabase charts. "I Like It Like That" will premiere on iTunes on October 4th, and features the Cataracs' act New Boyz. Does this song have the same charm that made "Tonight Tonight" such a big hit? Read on to find out!



I must say that Hot Chelle Rae's hit music seems to have an aura that I can't get enough of. From what I can tell, it can't be from producer Emanuel Kiriakou, who's known best for working with American Idol and Disney stars. Rather, I think it has to be with their natural comics that they feature in their songwriting. Although the chorus is rather mainstream, as far as songwriting goes, the rest of the song tells a fun, simple story.

The simple, drums-and-guitar tandem that gets the job done for "Tonight Tonight" leaves the same sweet feeling in my heart in "I Like It Like That". However, I must question New Boyz' feature in the song. Don't get me wrong - New Boyz are great rappers in their own right, and "Better With the Lights Off" is one of my favorite songs this year. However, their feature in this song feels like the whipped cream on an apple pie. It's the part that's there for glamour, and doesn't help with the taste (mechanics of the song). They don't "fit" in this song, which is a real shame.

As a whole, however, "I Like It Like That" is a well-executed stab at a 2nd hit for Hot Chelle Rae. It definitely deserves to be a hit, although I doubt that it will be able to surpass the success of "Tonight Tonight".

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment