Sunday, October 2, 2011

Song of the Day: When We Stand Together - Nickelback


Nickelback's back! (A little cliché? I try!) Anyways, the last rock band standing has made a last-ditch to stay relevant with their album Here and Now, which premieres in late November. After their last top 10 single was released in 2008, Nickelback has tried and failed 4 times to replicate the effort which it has done 6 times before in its career. Can "When We Stand Together" be a 7th career top 10 single for Nickelback? Read on for the answer!



Nickelback, although not my favorite artist, has always been one of my favorite rock bands to listen to. Their melodies are strong, yet simple. The same can be said for "When We Stand Together", although it takes more than strong and simple melodies to make a hit song (Of course, Chad Kreuger's always good, too, but that's not important yet).

You also need a beat that people are going to connect with. Whether acoustic or synthesized, whether noticed or not noticed, you need a good instrumental base for your music to work off of. Nickelback doesn't have one here. What we're left with are straggled guitar chords and a bass that makes no impact on the beat.

You also need a good chorus. On "When We Stand Together", the chorus makes a feeble attempt to sound like a concert. This, topped with the special effect on "that's, that's, that's" feels disconnected not just with each other, but with what people want to listen to on the radio. When I'm driving down the road, I can't focus all of my effort on trying to picture myself in a concert; rather, I want to be able to hear something catchy and powerful.

And so, this song fails for me when it really should win me over. Generally, I like this stuff for the 1st 2 weeks I hear it, before the clangy beats start to sound annoying. It does nothing for me, leaving me unimpressed with the direction in which Nickelback's going.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment